Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Experiences in the ER

Brette progressively began to feel worse, as can be expected when involved in a major accident. I got several calls (she couldn't get out of bed to come get me) throughout the night informing me that she was becoming more and more stiff. I was worried, but not extremely worried until she told me that she thought she was having a migraine. Brette usually doesn't get headaches, let alone migraines.

I went into work this morning but decided to leave at noon to take her to the minor emergency clinic. Because she was involved in an accident they refused to see her. So off we went to the emergency room. They got us in very quickly but that was about all that happened quickly. We sat behind the curtain in "Bed 5" for almost 6 hours. In that time we heard two people get diagnosed with appendicitis and one get diagnosed with pneumonia due to congestive heart failure. One thing I realized is that there are a lot of people out there who do not have someone else to rely on in times of need. One lady was asked if she wanted to be resuscitated if she were to flatline. She couldn't make up her mind because she hadn't yet discussed that option with her husband, who was her roommate in the nursing home. It broke my heart to hear her say, "Help me. Someone please help me!"

Mrs. Mason, know that there was someone on the other side of the curtain praying for you and the decisions that you and your family will have to make. God bless you!

No comments: