Friday, February 01, 2008

Meet Zoe
Zoe is Donny's beloved chocolate lab. While she is beautiful, she and I have a love-hate relationship. When Donny and I started dating Zoe was 2. If you're familiar with labs (maybe this is the case with all breeds) they are still puppies at 2. They jump on you, they chew things, and they're not very good listeners. For the first 6 months that Donny and I dated, Zoe would jump on me if I tried to hug him. This was cute and funny at first, but after awhile, it stopped being cute and funny. I'm not small by any means, but having a 70lb. dog jump on me did not feel good. I promptly learned to put my knee to her chest and she quit jumping on me (she wasn't harmed). Zoe would also sit between us on Donny's couch (loveseat...tiny loveseat). She still does. This, too, was cute at first, but considering how little I get to see Donny, I don't want to have to share him with her. Apparently Zoe doesn't like to share either.
-----
On many occasions when Donny's out of town, I've offered to stay at his house to take care of her. Oh, I forgot to mention she's an inside dog - inside, all of the time. On one occasion I left her home alone for a little while, only to find that she chewed up my black heels. She didn't chew up any of Donny's shoes, only mine. Seeing a pattern here? She hates me. My mom has accused me of talking about Zoe like a human - like she's vindictive and knows what she's doing. You can't convince me that she doesn't.
-----
On the other hand, Zoe is a loving and lovable dog. She is extremely loyal to Donny and me and has protected me from other dogs while we were out walking. She also snuggles with me on those same weekends when Donny's out of town. After we'd been dating a couple of years, I taught Zoe how to bark when we say "speak." Before then, Zoe never barked unless I was playing with her and getting her riled up. I felt like a proud mom, seeing her child do something for the first time.
-----
All in all, Zoe is a nemesis, best friend, and protector at the same time. Who knew I'd have to fight with a dog to win over a guy? All I know, is if Donny loves her, I better love her too. I think I need to work on that!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I have to say my Duncan is very protective/jealous of me with any guys as well. There has only been one guy so far that my dog has not bothered at all. I think the dogs will get the hint eventually!

Amber Rader said...

She's so cute! Rudy can be like that, but then he cuddles with you and you can't help but love him.

LoriLoo310 said...

There's something about labs that make me a bit nervous. Probably because one of my friends has a huge black lab that tries to eat me for lunch any time I visit their house. They are so hyperactive.