Sunday, May 07, 2006

Motorcyclists, Bicyclists, and Strange Tattoos
I work part-time at a heavily-visited gas station. It's not the coolest job, but there are some perks to it. I've decided to create a list of the best and worst things about this job.

Best:
1. I am a people watcher and this job gives me the opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life.
2. I can leave everything at work when I go home (unlike teaching).
3. I've seen some really cool tattoos.
4. I have extra money at the end of the month.
5. I was introduced to the book Enrique's Journey ( I don't know how to under line things or I would underline the name of the book.).
6. I get a discount on gas. It's only 2 cents but hey, it's better than nothing!
7. I get to talk to people that ride their bicycles 100 or more miles in a day.
8. I've seen some really cool motorcycles.

Worst:
1. I have to clean the restrooms. I won't go into detail but I'm sure you can imagine the things I've had to endure.
2. I've had to endure the seemingly "cute" comments from the old men.
3. I have to listen to people say, "I don't care what lotto ticket you give me as long as it's a winner" multiple times a day.
3. I've seen some really obscene shirts and tattoos.
4. I've come to realize how much of an addiction some people have to cigarettes, food, and caffeine.
6. I've seen some of the worst behaved kids, and parents for that matter.
7. I've been pre-judged just because I work in a gas station. You'd be surprised how many strange looks I get when people learn I've got a college degree.
8. I work with people that don't know what a "two week notice" is.
9. I've given up almost all of my weekends since September to work (including missing two trips to UT football games) and....
10. I have to clean the restrooms.

No comments: