Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Happy Birthday Dad!

On this day in 1954, my dad, who according to my grandma was the "easiest to have but hardest to raise," was born. My dad's a coach who's known for his corny jokes and dancing on the 50 yard line after a victory. His most recent joke (thanks to Donny) is: What did the thermometer say to the graduated cylinder? - You may be graduated, but I have more degrees.

As you can see in my previous post, I just returned from a trip to visit my dad. The last time I spent a week with him was immediately following my graduation from ACU. We drove with my stepmom from Abilene to Nashville. As a matter of fact, as we were driving through Hope, Arkansas (home of Bill Clinton), we heard that Saddam Hussein had been captured.

Here are just a few of the memories I have of my dad:

  • Going to all of his baseball, football, and basketball games growing up
  • Being the 'batgirl' for his baseball games
  • Waiting at the field house after football games and listening to the radio to hear the highlights of his game
  • Getting reprimanded for hurting a little boy (if you know what I mean) for not letting me off of the slide in Kindergarten
  • Being told that the only time you hurt a boy like that is if they are trying to rob or hurt you
  • Going to the Texas Rangers Game and walking behind President Bush when he owned the Rangers
  • Anticipating him coming home from practice with candy for Brette and me
  • Teaching me how to properly dribble and shoot a basketball
  • Teaching me how to hit and catch a baseball and softball
  • Being the guinea pig for any new jokes he received
  • Being told to jump in the back of the truck on my birthday only to find a brand-new bicycle there
Now that I look at the list...almost everything has to do with sports. I guess that's what happens when your dad is a coach. I loved every minute of it! I guess that's why I'm dating a coach. They do say you marry people like your dad....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When is the wedding?

Carissa said...

OOPS!! I should have said date. There is definitely not a wedding in sight. I'm not even engaged. I was just using the phrase that everyone uses.

jennifer said...

There needs to be a wedding soon!! It's about time! And you can tell Donny I said that...