Sunday, July 29, 2007

Habitat for Humanity

On Friday the 13th, the interns, Michael, Jason, and I worked on a Habitat for Humanity House. This was the 2nd time I have participated in Habitat for Humanity, but for many of them it was their 1st. I was told that we would be doing finishing work - landscaping, trimming, etc. Once we got there, however, we worked on siding, painting, removing rocks from the backyard, and erecting the back portion of a chainlink fence. Thankfully it was overcast outside. Even so, it was still really hot! I had also arranged for Jason's Deli to deliver boxed lunches to us. 15 minutes after the deadline I decided I would call them to make sure they were coming. We were only a little over a block away from the restaurant. When I called, they asked me if I was sure I was calling the right Jason's Deli -yes. Then they asked if I was sure I had scheduled it for that day - yes. They also asked me what address it was supposed to be delivered to - I told them it was on the order. I then asked if I could give them the order number. They said they wouldn't be able to look it up that way because it would require the use of a computer and it wasn't a good time to do that - what? I spent $180 for someone to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about and to tell me it wasn't a good time to use the computer? I proceeded to tell the gentleman that I would bring everyone up there to pick up our lunches. He said, "You're bringing 17 people up here right now?" YES!!! It all worked out in the end, but it was definitely frustrating at the time. Here are some pictures of that fun, but tiring day.

Digging out the dirt around the fencepoles.


Group Picture in Front of the House

Wheelbarrow of Rocks - These were small compared to some of them we had to remove.

Stay tuned...I just returned from our 150th Anniversary Celebration.
I will be outlining the events of each day, daily.

No comments: