Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Germs

I read an article today titled 100s Of Bacteria Colonies Found On DFW Playgrounds. It talks about the playgrounds at restaurants like McDonald's, Burger King, and Chuck E Cheese. I played on all of those as a child, as I'm sure most of you did as well. I survived and loved every minute of it. Most likely they hadn't done a study 25 years ago to see what kind of bacteria could be found on the playgrounds. That being said: Do you allow your children to play on them?

I have mixed feelings. I have become somewhat of a germaphobe, but I've also heard that you're not supposed to completely shelter your children from germs or they won't develop immunities.

Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Although I don't have any kids yet, I feel sure that I'd let them play on those playgrounds. It's a combination of what you mentioned (that you survived it) and the fact that I think that it's a losing battle to keep germs off kids entirely. I'd have them wash their hands afterward for sure, though!

jennifer said...

I agree with what Rachel said, and I have a kiddo!! He loves to play on playgrounds, although we try to avoid the ones at restaurants. More than the germs on those playgrounds, its the other kids that are there that bother me. Kennan is still too young to defend himself in the appropriate ways, so we like to keep a close eye on him when playing with kids we don't know. Back to your original topic...It's funny, when they are babies you worry soooo much about every little germ, but as they get older it's not as big a priority. Although, we do wash hands all the time!